Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spiritual Bugs

Last week while visiting family in Utah we heard a talk about temptation. The sister sharing the message quoted from the following New Era talk:

When I went outside that Saturday morning, I didn’t say to myself, “I hope a bug flies into my mouth today.” But as I was jogging, it happened. A bug flew right into my mouth! It wasn’t my fault. I wasn’t doing anything wrong. I didn’t even see it coming.

What do you think I did when that insect zipped between my teeth? Well, I didn’t swish it around and savor it. I didn’t leave it there just to see what would happen. I didn’t swallow it. I didn’t even take time to think about it. I just spit it out and kept running, sputtering along the way.

Have you ever had a “bug” fly into your mouth? Have you ever innocently come across an inappropriate picture or song or word or idea? You probably have. Evil influences are all around us, and while we can do much to avoid them, we will probably be exposed to them through no fault of our own. These spiritual bugs are deadly—much more harmful to our spirits than that little insect was to my body.

What should you do if a spiritual bug flies into your mouth? You should give it the same treatment I gave the bug that flew into mine: Spit it out! Don’t hesitate. Walk away. Run away if you have to. Turn off the TV. Turn off the radio. Turn off the computer. Throw that book or magazine in the garbage can where it belongs.

I thought that this image was absolutely perfect and one that every single person could relate to. When temptations are thrown our way, as they always are, we need to spit them out and keep running towards God. Lets not take a peek, or savor the spiritual bugs in our lives!

Check out the rest of the talk HERE.

1 comment:

  1. That kind of reminds me of when Jesus said, "If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out" or however the saying went. We don't want those offending things to get stuck or make our bodies/spirit a home!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails