Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Anxiously engaged

Yesterday was Stake Conference for us. Nick and I rushed to get ready and leave early so we could get decent seats. But of course even 20-25 mins early we still had to sit on a hard seat in the gym. I don't recall this same event happening to us in Utah much.

Oh well, but it was great. There were some really inspiring words spoken. Out of all of the words spoken I think I was most touched by this scripture as quoted by our Stake President:
D&C 58: 26-29
26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is acompelled in all things, the same is a bslothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

27 Verily I say, men should be aanxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

28 For the power is in them, wherein they are aagents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their breward.

29 But he that adoeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with bdoubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is cdamned.
Somehow I had forgotten about this scripture and in my mind and heart was pondering so many things. Mostly about why there are so many differing opinions in the church and why the people in the church are sometimes lazy and aren't do things as they should. Then I realized after reading this scripture that we are all agents to ourselves and we have to choose to be anxiously engaged in a good cause.

We don't have to receive everything by way of commandment. If we are searching for truth in our heart and doing our best to learn each day then hopefully that will equate to "being anxiously engaged in a good cause" for us. The gospel contains all truth that is supposed to fit together somehow.

This was consoling to my heart. I realized that the church is true, but not all of the members are true to the church at all times. In fact, I'm not 100% perfect in everything at all times. So why am I being judgmental of others? They probably are wondering why I'm not doing better at what they do well.

I think we can easily get caught in that trap that Satan sets for us. Instead of focusing on our eternal goals, we think about why other people aren't doing this or that. Then we can sometimes get off track and lose sight of what matters most. I hope that if any of you have this problem like me that you will get back on track soon! Repentance is a wonderful thing!

Love ya!
Trish

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that scripture with your thoughts. I think you're right-- we all get caught up sometimes in what other people "should" be doing that we forget about what we are should be doing, which is loving everyone, regardless of their shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails