Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Being the Gospel

My mom is the Activity Days leader for the 8-11 year old girls in her ward. She asked me to cover for her this week while she and my dad were in Vegas. So the other leader and the girls and I played two truths and a lie and then talked about honesty. While we were sharing the message I felt impressed to share my testimony about how honesty affects your ability to do missionary work. I said to these girls, "As you are honest, people will trust you and then when you find missionary opportunities with those same people they will be more willing to listen to you and believe the testimony that you are sharing is sincere."
This moment of insight really struck me. I've heard the little sayings like, "Why do you do what you do when you know what you know?" or "Make your life so that those who know you will want to know Jesus Christ" so this week I came up with one of my own. Don't just live the Gospel, BE the Gospel. I know the biggest influence that I can have on other people isn't the words that I say or even in the special acts of service I give, it's the person I choose to be on a daily basis (which includes the words that I say and the service I give). Ever since that day with those girls, I have come home at night thinking, "What kind of missionary was I today?"
I know I'm not perfect, and there are things I wish I could have changed, but overall I'm proud to be a Latter-day Saint and I love that the people I work with know it. It helps me live up to the covenants I have made to my Heavenly Father by having others watch out for me.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Someone posted for me! I was in Austin all day yesterday and then realized this morning that I hadn't been able to post. How wonderful!
    I'm glad you think about these types of things- living the gospel, being the gospel, etc.
    I used to be an achievement days leaders as well and I really miss those girls. Sometimes I still chat with them in the halls after church.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails