Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Be Constant unto Me

I have always loved music; a lot of my spiritual memories are associated with certain songs. I know music has the power to touch our ancient spirits; awaken feelings we once had, but can't quite remember.

One of my favorite gospel-related song is the sacrament hymn titled, "Reverently and Meekly Now." I know I've sung this song for a long time but the lyrics didn't stick out to me until sitting in Choir during my Semester in Nauvoo. I'm going to do what our choir director did: I want you to take a moment to listen to this beautiful guitar rendition and read the lyrics. In particular, pay attention to who is saying these words:



Rev’rently and meekly now,
Let thy head most humbly bow.
Think of me, thou ransomed one;
Think what I for thee have done.
With my blood that dripped like rain,
Sweat in agony of pain,
With my body on the tree
I have ransomed even thee.

In this bread now blest for thee,
Emblem of my body see;
In this water or this wine,
Emblem of my blood divine.
Oh, remember what was done
That the sinner might be won.
On the cross of Calvary
I have suffered death for thee.

Bid thine heart all strife to cease;
With thy brethren be at peace.
Oh, forgive as thou wouldst be
E’en forgiven now by me.
In the solemn faith of prayer
Cast upon me all thy care,
And my Spirit’s grace shall be
Like a fountain unto thee.

At the throne I intercede;
For thee ever do I plead.
I have loved thee as thy friend,
With a love that cannot end.
Be obedient, I implore,
Prayerful, watchful evermore,
And be constant unto me,
That thy Savior I may be.

What is so special about this song is how it is written from the Savior's viewpoint. We listen to Him, He who died for ALL our sins, plead to be obedient and remember Him as we partake of the sacrament. How wonderful it is to be reminded every week of the covenants we've made to be like Him! We are reminded of His amazing sacrifice, all because He loves us---'with a love that cannot end.'

I think of this hymn every time I take the sacrament and wonder if I'm doing enough. Does He know how grateful I am for Him and His love for me? Does He know that I hurt every time I sin because I just did another thing to make his suffering increase a little bit? Does He know how much comfort I get from knowing He truly knows how I feel?

Because of this song, and other manifestions, I know He knows me. I know He loves me and He loves you. I know He blesses me, even when I don't consider it a blessing. I know through His marvelous atonement we have the opportunity to repent and correct ourselves to walk in his ways and be constant unto Him. For that, and more, I'm grateful for OUR Savior.

1 comment:

  1. This song always makes me feel the spirit! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails