Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

"Be of Good Cheer"

Happy Birthday to Tricia!!!

Today in Sacrament meeting one of the speakers spoke on President Monson's talk from April Conference of this year, "Be of Good Cheer." I really felt like he was speaking to me. I have been blessed with so much, yet sometimes I focus on the things that I do not have. I get down on myself when I experience trials and I often forget to be of good cheer. I love this quote from President Monson's talk:

"None of us makes it through life without problems and challenges - and sometimes tragedies and misfortunes. After all, in large part we are here to learn and grow from such events in our lives. We know that there are times when we will suffer, when we will grieve, and when we will be saddened. However, we are told, 'Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.'"

President Monson then proceeds to ask this question: How might we have joy in our lives, despite all that we may face? This is my question to all of you. How do you find joy in your lives amidst the day to day trials and challenges? Joy is essential and in my opinion we can either choose to have joy in our lives, or we can choose to have misery. I vote for choosing joy, but I am definitely still working out the details. I would love to hear your suggestions. If you want to read the full talk then click here. It's definitely inspiring!

3 comments:

  1. How funny, in Stake Conference yesterday they kept talking about being happy. I might have to write a little bit about that in my post too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a conference talk titled "Pray Always," Elder Bednar talks about an experience in his life where he and his wife were directed by an apostle to give a prayer that only contained expressions of gratitude and asked for nothing. Having taken this challenge myself, I know that this is a quick way for me to find joy, especially in times of tragedy. I have come to my knees wanting so much, but have risen again with the feeling of humility and love at all that I already had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the idea of being happy is doctrine! It's hard for me to be happy all the time, so we employ the "act as if" principle in our house. Even if you're unhappy, act AS IF you're happy. Soon, you will be!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails