Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

Testimony

Yesterday I bore my testimony. It was the first time in a long time that I even considered it. I guess before I just didn't think I had anything to say. Also, Amber (Wednesday) bore her testimony. I should give her the credit because I didn't get up until after she did. At that point I couldn't resist anymore, I guess.

I usually think through everything I'm going to say before I say it when I bear my testimony. This time I tried to just go up there in the right spirit and let my mouth say what my heart was feeling. I'm not sure if that was the best idea or not. I knew I wanted to testify of the Atonement, not because of some serious sin I have just repented of, but because people rarely talk about it. (Or maybe it just seems that way to me.)

And then, later in my testimony and without thinking, I blurted out "Thank you". I wasn't sure why that phrase came out, so I finished it with "...for being an awesome ward." Then I thought, what I am even saying? I mean I shouldn't need to thank the ward as part of my testimony, should I?

What I guess I'm trying to convey in this post is that my testimony and spirituality have been strengthened lately because of this blog. So, really THANK YOU for your posts. Maybe it has been a while since I've borne testimony and so I was a bit nervous and disjointed. I wanted to get up and share the wonderful spirit I was feeling with others, and I guess this time it didn't matter to me what I said. I just wanted to convey my feelings and some of my thoughts.

I found this great article by Pres. Faust about bearing testimony. Here is a quote from it:

Some of us are naturally reserved and timid about bearing our testimony with words. Perhaps we should not be so timid. The Doctrine and Covenants tells us, “But with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, but they hide the talent which I have given unto them, because of the fear of man” (D&C 60:2). When we do bear testimony, we should testify with a spirit of humility. Section 38 of the Doctrine and Covenants reminds us, “And let your preaching be the warning voice, every man to his neighbor, in mildness and in meekness” (D&C 38:41).

Perhaps we do not always remember that it is the power of the Spirit that carries our testimony into the hearts of others. Our testimony is our own. It cannot be challenged by someone else. It is personal and real to us. But it is the Holy Spirit that gives a similar witness to another.

Sorry this post comes the day after fast and testimony meeting. Now you have to wait another month before you can bear your testimony. Just come back and read this article again if you find your determination wavering. And definitely check out the linked article above if time allows. It is inspiring for sure!

1 comment:

  1. I have never shared my testimony in sacrament meeting. It seems way too scary for me. I do get to share my testimony with the investigators every week in my Sunday school class though. Does that count?

    Maybe I should take your advice and get up there to bare my testimony. I'll try to be brave next month.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails