Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

Be a Messenger of God

Has anyone seen my ball? I seem to have dropped it.

I went to Colorado for the weekend and watched Conference with my brother and his family and I have to say that when I heard Elder Osguthorpe's talk and I punched my fist in the air and said, "YES!!" He said what I have always wanted to say if I ever had the opportunity to speak at one.

"The goal of gospel teaching is not to 'pour information' into the minds of class members...The aim is to inspire the individual to think about, feel about, and then do something about living gospel principles." --Thomas S. Monson

Elder Osguthorpe gave some great examples about studying with the manual and then teaching by the Spirit. I have been in so many lessons where there was a lot of great information WITHOUT an invitation, and the Spirit is not as strong, and the lesson is soon forgotten. However, I have also been in many great lessons where an invitation to apply the principles has led to an energy and light in the room that leaves the Spirit with the class for days and weeks afterwards.

Another important example of teaching is when Elder Osguthorpe shared his story about the Tahitian woman who helped teach him the language of the people and how it was a lesson in faith. I would also add it was a lesson in love.

"Close the manual and open their eyes, and their ears, and their hearts to the glory of God."

2 comments:

  1. That talk hit me hard as well! We have been teaching the 10 year old primary class and I try to make it spiritual but I feel like I haven't been. I guess I'll just have to try harder from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing with his talk; punching my hands in the air! (FYI: before Elder Osguthorpe was called as a general authority he worked at BYU in the School of Education)

    My husband said that I got excited because I'm a teacher and we all think the same (he meant it in a good way).

    I also loved how he said a simple testimony and the spirit of love can teach a love of the gospel. I notice the lessons that work are the ones where the teacher shows love for the subject and the students.

    Man, I love teaching...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails