Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

Our Test in Mortality

I generally have a thought that drives me during the week. This week I was very impressed with something Elder Robert D. Hales said in regards to challanges. It is easy to forget that we are not alone, and it is even more easy to get so wrapped up in our trials we forget to look heavenward for help. I hope this helps others as much as it touched me.

“Our challenges, including those we create by our own decisions, are part of our test in mortality. Let me assure you that your situation is not beyond the reach of our Savior. Through Him, every struggle can be for our experience and our good (see D&C 122:7). Each temptation we overcome is to strengthen us, not destroy us. The Lord will never allow us to suffer beyond what we can endure (see 1 Corinthians 10:13). “We must remember that the adversary knows us extremely well. He knows where, when, and how to tempt us. If we are obedient to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, we can learn to recognize the adversary’s enticements. Before we yield to temptation, we must learn to say with unflinching resolve, ‘Get thee behind me, Satan’ (Matthew 16:23).

Robert D. Hales, “Becoming Provident Providers Temporally and Spiritually,” Ensign, May 2009, 7

3 comments:

  1. That quote kind of reminds me of the Screwtape Letters. Sometimes we get lost in our own mind and have a hard time finding a way back to sanity and balance. (I mean if we keep giving into Satan's enticements)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing the Lord only gives us what we can handle really comforts me in times of difficulty; it's really nice to be reminded that he has faith in us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. It is so wonderful to know that with His help we can overcome anything. I re-read the scripture that says He only gives us what we can handle (its in Matthew, right? I don't remember) and I had a realization. It isn't that He only gives us what we can handle, it is only what we can handle with His help. If we don't turn to Him then we can possibly have trials that we can't handle. I just found that thought very helpful. It keeps me relying on Him.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails