Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Unselfish Service

Our moving process over the last month has been rather stressful. To top it off, each day I am becoming more and more pregnant. Every day tasks become extra difficult for me during the last month of pregnancy and the day came to clean the apartment. I really didn't know how I was going to do it: enter Relief Society.

Amazing women in my ward announced and sent two emails in the last few days reminding every sister who could to come and help clean this morning. Six sisters showed up and did not mind cleaning the residue of my family. PLUS, another sister with kids around Jared's age watched him so I wouldn't have to take him to an empty apartment full of chemicals.

With all this help, something that would have taken me all day (or more) only took an hour and a half. I am so grateful for the ward we live in and the amazing sisters within it. This experience reminded me of Elder Dallin H. Oaks talk from April 2009 conference, Unselfish Service, and I wanted to share a few quotes these sisters emulate in every way.
  • Perhaps when we [face] our Maker, we will not be asked, 'how many positions did you hold?' but rather, 'how many people did you help?'---- you can never love the Lord until you serve Him by serving His people. --quoting President Monson
  • The only ways to save our eternal life is to love one another and lose our lives in service.
  • The plan of the gospel of Jesus Christ lifts us above our selfish desires and teaches us that this life is all about what we can become.
My challenge to us all: find ways to serve! Nothing is too small to be know as service. No time is convenient to serve because we are all busy with our lives, but if we lose ourselves in service; the Lord will bless all involved!

1 comment:

  1. Nick and I read that article together on Sunday since we didn't make it to church. It has so many gems inside it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails