Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

October's Message: Go to the Temple!

I'm not sure if any of you noticed, but there are three talks in October's Ensign about going to the temple. Three talks! That seems like a lot in one issue to me. Also, the last two lessons in our Joseph Smith manual (for Relief Society and Elder's Quorum) have discussed the temple and eternal families. Apparently we need to go to the temple more often than we are.

I want to share my testimony of the importance of going to the temple. While we were in NYC we had the opportunity of going to the Manhattan Temple. I am sure you have all felt that special spirit that is associated with being inside the temple, or even just walking on the grounds of the temple. It is a special spirit that immediately calms you. It is truly a holy place. In NYC there are so many taxis and cars honking all of the time that the city is a very noisy place. As soon as we walked through the doors into the temple it was immediately silent, calm, and peaceful. It was such a drastic change that I could physically understand the phrase "being in the world, but not of the world." When we go to the temple we are supposed to leave all of our worldly cares behind us and go there to worship our Father in Heaven. I always feel different when I enter the temple, but going to the Manhattan temple was an even more profound difference.

I know that the covenants we make inside the temple are equally as important as the covenants we make at baptism. We must make those covenants with God in order to have eternal life. I encourage you all to set aside a time this month to go to the temple, to worship and serve. And when you go, leave all of the worldly cares behind. Take off your watches and forget the world outside. Truly BE THERE.

PS: Read the articles in the Ensign about the temple: They are GREAT! (Here's the link to the online October Ensign!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails