Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

What If God Was One of Us?

I was listening to music today as I was cleaning and I heard the once famous song from the 90s "One of Us" by Joan Osbourne. I admit I like the song, but I have always felt a little guilty listening to it. I almost wonder if it is sacrilegious. And then today the words just hit me in a whole different way.

What if God was one of us? Really? What if the person you ignored on the street was Him? Or the transient begging for money and you just walked on by? Of course the scripture in Matthew 25: 34-40 comes to mind:

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his aright hand, Come, ye bblessed of my Father, cinherit the dkingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an ahungred, and ye bgave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a cstranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye avisited me: I was in bprison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee asick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have adone it unto one of the bleast of these my cbrethren, ye have done it unto me.

From the discourses given by King Benjamin we learn that we are required to give of what we have, even if it is just a little.

19 For behold, are we not all abeggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?
20 And behold, even at this time, ye have been calling on his name, and begging for a aremission of your sins. And has he suffered that ye have begged in vain? Nay; he has poured out his bSpirit upon you, and has caused that your hearts should be filled with cjoy, and has caused that your mouths should be stopped that ye could not find utterance, so exceedingly great was your joy.
21 And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to aimpart of the substance that ye have one to another.

So often in this world it is hard to trust. When beggars are out on the street corners many people say they are out there just to get drug money or they will drink whatever we give them away, or it is all a lie, they are doing it as their job. But it doesn't matter, because what if Joan Osbourne is right? What about what King Benjamin reiterated time and time again in his address to the people? "And verily, verily I say unto you, when ye have done it unto the least of these thy brethren, ye have done it unto me." Regardless of their past, present, or future it is our responsibility to give and show love. As I think more along these lines the missionary spirit is kicking in. If we were to meet someone on the street we should recognize them for who they really are. They are children of GOD. And not just that, they are our siblings, entitled to the same blessings we can have. How can we not share with them? We have such knowledge and happiness, and how selfish will we be if we just keep it to ourselves because we are afraid to share with them? Remember, that which we do to our fellow men is the same as if we were doing it to our Lord. He loves us and wants us all to be happy, and so we have to help others to be happy.

I know I have taken this in many different directions tonight. There are so many thoughts flooding my mind right now as I ponder over that song. Missionary work, charity, loving our brother, and giving all we can to those in need. I could go on for a long time with each of these topics, but I don't think it is necessary. I would just like for each of you to think about it next time you pass a stranger. Every time you pass a stranger. What if? What would you do differently? And do it. Smile. Give the $1.50 you have in your pocket to the street beggar. And for heaven's sake, start carrying around pass along cards! I say this for myself more than any of you. It is a habit I have gotten out of and need to reinstate.

What would you do differently if He really was one of us here on this earth right now?

1 comment:

  1. Those are some deep thoughts. And cause for much reflection.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails