Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

On Personal Growth

I was reading the Ensign this week (the new and improved January issue) and I came across a quote by Neal A. Maxwell that I wanted to make sure no one missed.

He said:
"One's life... cannot be both faith-filled and stress-free....

"Therefore, how can you and I really expect to glide naively through life, as if to say, 'Lord, give me experience, but not grief, not sorrow, not pain, not opposition, not betrayal, and certainly not to be forsaken. Keep from me, Lord, all those experiences which made Thee what Thou art! Then let me come and dwell with Thee and fully share Thy joy!'...

"Real faith... is required to endure this necessary but painful developmental process."
(Elder Neal A. Maxwell, "Lest Ye Be Wearied and Faint in Your Minds," Ensign, May 1991, pp. 88, 90.)

I am personally going through a stressful, sorrowful and painful trial right now in my life. And while I try to be hopeful and remember that "all these things will be for my experience," I am tired of being stressed out and constantly fretful.

This quote really gave me reassurance and a little bit of much needed perspective. Life cannot be faith-filled and stress-free.

With that choice before me, I'll choose faith every time.

3 comments:

  1. What an AWESOME quote!!! How can we be saints without overcoming the temptations and trials that would perfect our faith?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come I didn't see this post before? I agree, awesome quote! I need to pin it up on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful post. The quote is really fantastic. Personal growth and development is an individual responsibility. It is an incessant procedure that ends in death. It is astonishing that there are many people who don't show signs of growth and development in their character and conduct.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails