Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

On Selflessness

It's been a tough week at my house (and it's only Tuesday!)-- my daughter has been teething (molars) and it has drained nearly all my patience. This Family Gem came to me at a perfect time:
“Just as Jesus used a child in His mortal ministry as an example for the people of the pure love they must and could have to be like Him, He has offered us the family as an example of an ideal setting in which we can learn how to love as He loves.“That is because the greatest joys and the greatest sorrows we experience are in family relationships. The joys come from putting the welfare of others above our own. That is what love is.”

--Henry B. Eyring, “Our Perfect Example,” Ensign, Nov. 2009, 70-71
Being a parent, especially a mother, means a lot of lessons in putting others first. That's a hard one sometimes, but Elder Eyring said (and it's true, by the way) that "the greatest joys... we experience are in family relationships."

Sometimes it's hard to remember that when nobody in my house has slept through the night and we're all grouchy and temperamental. But because we serve each other, and put each other first, we do have a lot of joy and love in this house.

Just not a lot of sleep. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the lack of sleep problem. Whenever I don't get enough sleep I literally cannot give as much of myself to others. This happened a bit yesterday. I had a lot to do and didn't get a nap in. It ties in to the VT msg this month too about being self reliant so we can serve others. That means that sometimes we need to take care of ourselves first or else we can't serve others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ash, you always know the right thing to say.

    JWalk has also been interesting and I appreciate the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails